Options available to register your business
There are many options available to register your business in South Africa. You could use companies that do business registration on your behalf at a fee of course. Many banks offer business registration services however, some may request your business account be opened once the registration process is completed. The most important part of business registration is for you as the business owner to have full control over the process.
How much does it cost to register a business in South Africa?
This depends which option you choose in some cases business owners have paid approximately R800 to register a business. This is not the way to go, the best option is to register your business online, the cost is R175 when done correctly.
How to register your business online
Go to the website http://www.cipc.co.za/za/ this is the website used for all business registrations in South Africa. Make sure you have the following before starting the online registration process:
- Four business names in order of preference
- Mobile phone for SMS verification
- Pen and paper – write down you user details
- Email address – make sure your email address is correct, you will receive email confirmation
These are the steps to follow with links to the guides provided by CIPC. Download each guide before you start the process. Here is a screenshot of a page of the business registration guide.
- Register as a customer – How to Guide
- Once customer registration is completed you will deposit funds into CIPC’s account using your unique reference number. The funds will be available on your customer profile and will be used for services you purchase
- Reserve your company name – once the name is reserved you will receive email confirmation to proceed with the business registration – How to Guide
- Register your business – documents will need to be emailed all the details will be sent to your email address – How to Guide
The user guides include screenshots of the process and are easy to understand, keep them opened while you register your account and business.
Benefits of registering your business online
Registering your business online will save you money, the cost for online registration is R175. You also have full control over the process, so you do not need to pay a company to access and update your business information. As a registered business you need to keep your business legally compliant annually by submitting your business annual returns. The cost is R100 each year and now that you have your own customer profile you can do this online yourself.